France Warns of 300,000 Potentially Unsafe Condoms Sold in Stores and Online
PARIS: French health and consumer protection authorities have issued a nationwide warning after identifying nearly 300,000 potentially unsafe condoms sold through pharmacies, retail stores, and online marketplaces.
The alert was announced jointly by France's anti-fraud agency (DGCCRF) and health authority (DGS) following laboratory tests that revealed serious quality concerns in some products. Officials said certain condoms showed a risk of bursting during use or contained small perforations, potentially reducing their effectiveness in preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
Authorities have recalled approximately 260,000 condoms that were distributed through pharmacies and retail outlets across France.
According to the agencies, testing found that two condom products failed to meet required safety standards. As a precaution, consumers who may have used the affected products have been advised to:
- Get screened for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Take a pregnancy test if they experience a missed menstrual period
- Stop using any recalled products immediately
Health officials emphasized that condom defects can significantly reduce protection during sexual activity.
In addition to the recalled products, investigators identified 30 condom product lines being sold through online marketplaces that lacked the required European Union conformity certification or French-language labeling.
Authorities said around 1,000 boxes, representing more than 40,000 condoms, had already been sold before the issue was detected.
Online platforms have since agreed to remove the affected listings from sale. The official warning included several brands that were found to be non-compliant with regulations. Among them were:
- Okamoto Industries (Japan)
- My Lubie (France)
- Friday Bae (France)
- Other brands listed by French authorities
Officials stressed that the warning applies only to specific products or batches identified during the investigation.
Pierre Lagache, Chief Executive of French condom brand My Lubie, said the recall concerns only one specific batch of products.
Speaking to Reuters, Pierre Lagache stated that follow-up testing on the same batch later showed it met required standards. However, the company chose to proceed with the recall as a precautionary measure.
"We are talking about a medical device: at the slightest doubt, we pull it from the market without waiting," Pierre Lagache said.
He added that My Lubie initiated the recall voluntarily and that no injuries, pregnancies, or other incidents linked to the batch have been reported so far.
"A single batch is affected, no other product in our range, and to date no harm has been reported to us."
French authorities say the action highlights the importance of strict quality controls for medical and health-related products. While most condoms available on the market meet safety requirements, consumers are encouraged to purchase products from trusted retailers and check packaging for regulatory certifications.
The agencies will continue monitoring the market and working with online platforms and manufacturers to ensure only compliant products remain available to consumers.
Key Takeaways
- France has warned of nearly 300,000 potentially unsafe condoms.
- Around 260,000 condoms have been recalled from pharmacies and stores.
- More than 40,000 condoms sold online were linked to non-compliant product lines.
- Laboratory tests found risks including bursting and perforations.
- Consumers who used affected products are advised to consider STI screening and pregnancy testing if necessary.
- Online marketplaces have removed the flagged listings.
Source: Reuters, French consumer protection and health authorities.
Comments
Comments are closed.